Devonshire rarebit – Ingredients
- 25g butter
- 25g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon English mustard
- 125ml Salcombe Brewery’s Island Street Porter
- 175g Quicke’s mature cheddar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 slices of bread (we like the Almond Thief sourdough)
Devonshire rarebit – Method
- In a small saucepan melt the butter. Add the flour, mix quickly and then cook for a couple of minutes over a low heat, stirring to prevent the mixture from burning.
- Off the heat, stir in the beer a little at a time until you have a thick but smooth sauce.
- Add the grated cheese and mustard, pop back on a low-medium heat and stir until the cheese has melted and the mixture begins to bubble. You should now have a thick paste.
- Cool for a couple of minutes, then mix in the egg yolk, Worcestershire sauce and season well with black pepper. Leave to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Lightly toast bread, then pile up the cheesy mixture on each slice. Cook under a hot grill for a few minutes, until browned and bubbling.
Leave a Reply